Brand Touchpoints Online: If You Aren't Going to Remember Me, Don't Pretend To

April 13, 2010 | Branding, Design Basics, Web Design

Like this? Share it.

No, this is not about that awkward moment at a networking event or social gathering when you can’t remember someone’s name. This is about that annoying moment when I login in to Twitter.com and it asks me yet again if I want Twitter to “remember me.” Every time I check the box, yet every time I come back it prompts me for my username and password again.

Twitter login screen with "remember me" checked

Twitter login screen with "remember me" checked

I don’t know if it’s a setting in Firefox, or what, but I check the box every time, but Twitter never remembers me.

These are the little brand touchpoints that build likability and trust. Or, annoy your customers to no end.

Review the touchpoints on your own web site

If you haven’t done so recently, walk through your own web site and see what is involved to sign up, log in, or get to the information you need. You may want to set up a few “tasks” and ask some friends or associates to try and complete the tasks. Can they find your e-newsletter signup? Do they actually confirm their email address? Can they register easily for your next seminar? Can they search or use a sitemap to help them?

You don’t necessarily need expensive usability testing to get at the heart of many annoyances that are driving traffic away.

Most of are not as lucky as Twitter… if we annoy the user, they go away. Twitter has a strong calling that will overcome these obstacles, but your web site and brand may not have the perceived value (yet) to do that for your viewers.

9 comments

1. Sharon | April 17, 2010 at 11:19 am

I don’t claim to be a tech guru, but I think this might be a function of the browser. I use Firefox, and it always either remembers my password or asks me if I want it to remember it ‘Always’, ‘Never’, or ‘Not now’ for the site (or something to that effect). If you’ll go in under Tools>Options>Security and check the box for “Remember passwords for sites”, that may take care of the problem.

Putting instructions on a website to this effect – i.e. to set their browsers to remember passwords – might help visitors.

2. Emily Brackett | April 18, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Sharon, Thanks for your comment. I have my Firefox set to remember passwords, and it does autofill the form for me. But, Twitter never remembers me, which has to do with cookies or something like that. In contrast, when I log in to Google, it always remembers me because I check the box. Occasionally they do ask you to log in again, and you get a little message saying that from time to time they ask you to verify your username and password, etc. And when it comes up Firefox has already auto-filled the form. So… it’s not having to do with the remember passwords function in FF, but may still have to do with some other function. But I really think it’s something messed up with Twitter because it only happens on that site.

But.. thanks for joining the conversation, and your end point is a good one. Add some instruction or text explaining what’s going on.

3. Katie | April 22, 2010 at 1:08 pm

This annoys me to no end as well. I have noticed, though, that is keeps me signed in on my computer as long as I don’t access Twitter from my phone (I use IE, though). Once I do use my cell internet, it makes me log back in.

4. Katie | April 22, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Sorry, that is supposed to say “it keeps me signed in.”

5. Emily Brackett | April 22, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Katie, Thanks for your comment. I wonder if that’s the case… I generally use Tweetdeck, but sometimes end up at Twitter.com when I click a “follow me” type of link. Maybe it’s something with seeing me login in elsewhere?

6. KRM | May 11, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Twitter’s got a pretty buggy UI experience that seems to vary over time. I went through several weeks where I couldn’t delete a tweet and then it worked fine. Now it never remembers me no matter what happens. My impression of what happened is that back when they had that security scare involving stolen passwords, they cracked down on security and changed their more lax login and persistence features so that you had to re-authenticate more often. The end result is that it tells you it will remember you as part of the planned UI, but then it makes you re-authenticate as part of the subsequent change in security measures.

This is just my assumption from what I recall being their timeline. Not sure how accurate it is, heh.

Trackbacks